Why Check Your Bike?
Checking your bike regularly and taking good care of it has great benefits:
- It will last longer.
- It will work better. So you or your children will be motivated to cycle more!
- You will reduce the need for emergency repairs, which can cause hassle, cost and potentially spoil a nice bike ride.
- Your bike will keep its value better. So when you are ready to upgrade to a new one (or your child is ready for next size up) it will be more sellable… or worth more to any organisation you donate it to (such as Re-Cycle’s Bikes for Africa).
- Involving your children will encourage and teach them the habit of keeping their bikes in good condition too.
- Learning how to maintain their bikes gives pupils the chance to learn and practice a new skill outside the classroom and is a good way to draw pupils into an interest in mechanical engineering.
- Most importantly, maintaining your bike will make you a safer cyclist.
About the ‘M’ Check
The “M check” is recommended as a guide for keeping your bike safe and in good condition.
- With the “M Check” you start at the back wheel, work up to the saddle area, down to the pedals, up to the handlebars and finish at the front wheel, forming an ‘M’ shape so you don’t forget anything!
- You will need: a bicycle pump, pressure gauge and a set of allen keys.
- We’ve given a summary below of the steps but highly recommend you check out the detailed information and tips on Sustrans’ website (especially if you need more info on adjusting the brakes).