Quick View - What's On?
We have a whole host of events and activities taking place both in the town centre and as part of our outreach work to enable and encourage more people to travel to the town centre in greener ways. See the list of forthcoming planned events and activities:
Kettering Christmas Markets
Brightwayz will be holding a stall at two of the Kettering Christmas markets - Saturday 2 December and Saturday 9 December to provide information on active travel activities and free maps too.
If you come to the Christmas market by bike, walking, scooting, mobility scooter, bus or train you can claim a free travel-related gift. Just pop to the Brightwayz stall and show us something to prove how you travelled, This could be your bike, scooter, mobility scooter, bus ticket or bus pass. If you walk you can show us on your phone eg strava app, a photo or similar. Gifts include Get Down To Town shopper bags, cycle seat covers, reflectors and more. The earlier you come, the greater the choice. Offer is open to all ages. Subject to availability of gifts. One gift per individual person. Please note these are the only two Christmas markets Brightwayz are attending in Kettering although it is open on other dates.
Kettering Active Travel Hub
- The Royal Hotel, Market Place, Kettering. Saturday 25 November, 11am-3pm and Saturday 30 December.
- Free manned, indoor cycle parking, free cycle maps, free cycle security marking. Email to request a free 30 minute 'learn to fix my bike' session.
Kettering Community Cycle Club
- 11am every last Sunday of the month. Usual meeting place is outside McDonalds, High Street, Kettering.
- #TourYourTown easy, short, friendly cycle rides for all ages and abilities (U16s with adult) around Kettering town sometimes with another local event as a special destination.
- 10am every third Saturday of the month. Meet alternate months outside Cornmarket Hall (or at East Carlton Park every other month).
- The Ghanaian Residents Association In Northamptonshire welcomes everyone to their friendly monthly community walks - a chance to learn about Ghanaian culture here in our county.
Scout and Cub Sessions
- The Brightwayz team will be attending several scout and cub group meetings until December to support work towards cycle badges.
- Activities include learning to fix punctures, understanding gears, adjusting brakes and how to carry out cycle safety checks.
Beavers and Rainbows
- Younger members of the scout and guide movements will be enjoying cycle related activities with us too.
- They will be learning about being bright and seen with fun craft activities alongside having a go at pedalling their own smoothies.
- All primary schools in the Kettering area are being contacted with the opportunity to get support to do their own travel survey.
- On completion they will receive a free 'Reflector Shop Starter Pack' enabling them to set up their own reflector sale at school.
- The survey results will be used to create their own report which can help the school gain their own Modeshfit STARS accreditation as well as help achieve Healthy Schools status.
- With Bikelife we are providing free cycle confidence training, access to a bike if needed, free repairs and 'learn to fix' sessions.
- Priority has been given to NHS and care sector staff but now the programme is open to anyone over 16 who lives or works in North Northamptonshire.
- Sessions are being held during November and December. Find out more here.
- Students and staff at Tresham College will be getting involved in 'Get Down To Town' as they start to work towards their own Modeshfit STARS accredited travel plan.
- This involves travel surveys to see how journeys to and from the college as well as the town centre can be made greener and healthier.
- The developers for this east Kettering area of housing growth are keen to support and encourage those living in the development to build good attachments with Kettering town centre.
- Making it easier to choose greener ways to travel is a big part of their sustainability plan.
- We will be working closely with the developer team to boost active travel. For example look out for their electric cargo bike which will be in use and on show at various events around the town.
A Community Approach to Green Travel for All
The project is not just about what WE are doing but about what others in the community are doing already or would like to do to promote sustainable travel options and maybe need our help to do that. We are here to support and promote any green travel initiative which impacts Kettering town centre in some way - from Blue Badge walks, mobility scooter social rides, station adopter actions to draw people to our rail travel, community bus services, skateboard lessons, scooter discos, cycle training and much much more.
Let us know if you are local and would like your active or green travel initiative or events featured here.
First Ever Modeshift STARS Town Centre
A unique aspect of this project is that it is the first ever town centre in the UK to be working as a community towards achieving the DfT-backed Modeshift STARS awards (Sustainable Travel Accredited and Recognised). Thousands of schools, businesses, hospitals and developer sites have already acheived this prestigious recognition of efforts towards greener travel.... but never a town centre. We are working closely with Modeshift to use Kettering as a pilot and become the flagship example for other town centres to follow.